Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Day 1 and 2


Alright, alright...so I'm over the dorm thing. Enough already. I won't be here that much anyway. And frankly, once you get past the...well, the whole thing of it really, it's kind of fun.

Two things. Kenny is going to be a recurring character. Today I saw him on my way into the building and again with the pointing and the bug eyes and the impish smile and the implied "You!". "Get your bike inside!" he threw across the foyer at me. "My bike was stolen last night from outside the dorm". Which is a huge bummer for two reasons. One, who needs that. And who wants to worry about that. And two, Kenny is obviously enamored of his transportation options. Though at our next encounter at lunch he explained that it really wasn't such a bad thing because the bike had been given to him for free and he really didn't like having that many possessions anyway because it meant that other people might want them. And having them meant he was spoiled. Ah Marxism.

On other fronts, today was a much better day. I feel a little more grounded and into the whole program. The car is "disposed of" for the time being at my awesome friend Barbara's house (thanks Barbara!) and the work has begun in earnest. Even if that work is drawing plan views, section views, and elevations of a donut (no, I'm not kidding) and experimenting with materials for a theoretical bridge or fence in an area you know well. For all of you Brooklynites out there I'm creating a construction fence for the Atlantic Yards project. Feel free to send suggestions for the profanity that will be spray painted in tiny letters on the surface.

And last but not least, I had dinner tonight with Ken, a house husband from Chelsea NY whose husband/partner brings home the bacon via lawyering for a bank. We bonded over the craziness of the ice cream social (he is 43) and swapped stories about life in the "real" world. Now I am off to play with panty hose for my fence. And again, I'm not kidding.

Miss you all. B

4 comments:

franklin@franklinespinal.com said...

Thats it...I'm coming up there,
Ice Cream Socials, Donut projects, crazy kids and bikes missing,
I love it! Summer of 2007 sounds like a Scooby Doo episode. Substitute the van with a twin bed and Bam there maybe some ...well yes...scooby snacks...I'm staying tuned

foodiechica said...

i'm staying tuned too. love that you already have a recurring character Kenny...i'm visualizing South Park. besitos!

Geoffrey said...

I still can't get over the idea that you're in collage living in a dorm and I'm not right down the hall. Feels weird. Like some strange time warp that I'm viewing from the other side of a mirror (or computer screen). Sounds like fun though. Makes me long for some Cottage Inn pizza and movies at that parking lot. Say hi to Kenny for me. Feels like I know him already.

Anonymous said...

htpyjhanl www.louisvuittonreplicbagsonline.com numgskmzr [url=http://www.louisvuittonreplicbagsonline.com]louis vuitton shoes[/url] ycdzoxjiu
upizqnqkk www.louisvuittononsaleshoes.com dqmdkcdha [url=http://www.louisvuittononsaleshoes.com]louis vuitton purses on sale[/url] cshckjuse
coxgqbbcw www.louisvuittonhandbagsdiscountsale.com bpvvcrhab [url=http://www.louisvuittonhandbagsdiscountsale.com]louis vuitton handbags uk[/url] uwqgijyxx
ejhileser www.louisvuittonluggageonline.com ryoacqnry [url=http://www.louisvuittonluggageonline.com]louis vuitton outlet[/url] pvplrwwhd
ysobvzynm www.louisvuittonhandbagson-sale.com monakoaum [url=http://www.louisvuittonhandbagson-sale.com]loui vuitton handbags[/url] znvnvvydb